||Bavarian Sausage Salad (Bayrischer Wurstsalat)
from the Airbräu microbrewery in Munich
Sausage salad is a savory snack from Austria, southern Germany, Switzerland and the Alsace region of France.
It consists of thinly sliced sausage and onion, dressed with vinegar and oil.
The sausage used is usually some type of Brühwurst such as lyoner, regensburger knackwurst
or extrawurst in Austria and Germany, cervelat in Switzerland. The Swiss-style wurst salad adds
sliced cheeses such as Emmentaler.
Swiss-style wurst salad with Emmentaler cheese.
- 1 lb (400 g) fine-grained sausage i.e. Lyoner,
2 red onions, thinkly sliced
- 4 sweet-and-sour pickles, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sweet mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Thinly slice the onions and the pickles. Slice the sausage into thin slices and cut them in half.
- Blend the oil and the vinegar, add the mustard and then season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chives, the meat, the onions and the pickles.
Mix with the dressing and mix well. Allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- YIELD: serves 4
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: May 20, 2014