||Tomato Basil Soup
from La Madeleine deli and bakery
- 4 cups tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 cups unsalted tomato juice (or part vegetable or part chicken stock)
- 12-14 fresh basil leaves, washed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 lb sweet unsalted butter , softened
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Combine tomatoes, tomato juice and/or stock in a saucepan.
- Simmer for 30 minutes over medium low heat.
- Cool slightly. Place in a blender or food processor in batches, add basil and process to purée.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Add butter and cream, while stirring over low heat until butter
and cream are incorporated. Stir in salt and pepper before serving.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve with your favorite bread.
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: January 25, 2011