||Sauce Grand Veneur
- 1/2 lb game sides
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Thyme, bay leaf, parsley
- 4 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups beef broth
- 6 crushed peppercorns
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- Salt, pepper
- 4 tbsp red-currant jelly
- 1 tbsp chocolate, finely chopped
- Butter, to taste
- Crème fraîche, 1/4 cup per 1 cup of sauce
Prepare Sauce Grand Veneur:
- Cut the game sides into pieces. Reserve any blood that drips from the meat.
- In a saucepan heat olive oil. Brown the cubed game sides over high heat. Skim and remove the fat
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the carrots and onion and cook for a few minutes.
Add the thyme, bay leaf and parsley. Add the vinegar and reduce until dry.
- Add 1 cup wine, 1 cup broth, cranberries, and peppercorns. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer over medium heat until the sauce reduces and thickens, about 75-90 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat, press through a sieve and return to the sauce pan.
- Take 2 cups of the Poivrade Sauce and bring to a boil. Add 2 cups beef broth and the reserved
game blood. Reduce the sauce by a third.
- Remove from heat and add the red-currant jelly, butter to taste, and chocolate. If
needed add a little sugar, to taste. Dissolve well and complete the sauce by adding 1/4 cup
of crème fraîche per 1 cup of sauce.
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: October 12, 2010
Photograph from Wikimedia Commons used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.