This is a hearty warm salad recipe from the Vosges Mountains in the Lorraine region of eastern France.
The Vosges is a range of low mountains, across the border from the Black Forest in Germany.
- 4-5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 eggs, poached or hard boiled
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup smoked bacon, diced
- About 1 cup baguette croutons
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- Selection of salad greens
- 3/4 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 2-3 tbsp vinegar
- Gruyère cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Sauté the diced potatoes.
- Poach or hard-boil the eggs. If making poached eggs, add vinegar to boiling water before dropping the eggs in it.
- Melt the butter in a skillet, brown the croutons and bacon, and drain on paper towels.
- Deglaze pan with vinegar. Add the cream, salt and pepper. Reduce and adjust seasonings.
- Dress the greens and arrange on plates. Place diced potatoes on top. Top with the bacon and croutons.
- Place 1 poached egg on top. If using hard-boiled eggs, cut into quarters and arrange around the plate.
- Top with grated Gruyère.
- YIELD: Serves 4
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: October 12, 2010