||Sauce Marchand De Vin
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup boiled ham, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and sauté the onion, garlic, scallions and ham for 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, reduce the heat to medium and cook for for 2 minutes. Blend in the flour and cook, stirring for 4 minutes,
then add the Worcestershire sauce, beef stock, wine, thyme and bay leaf.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour.
- Before serving, remove the bay leaf and add the parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- YIELD: 3 cups.
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: October 12, 2010
Photograph from Wikimedia Commons used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.