||Lox And Schmear
from Ron and Marsha
- 16 sushi-grade salmon slices
- 4 fresh bagels, sliced in half
- 3/4 cup Philadelphia Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Butter, softened
- Dilled Cucumbers, recipe follows (optional)
- 1 bottle of good vodka (Russian, Kazakh, Polish or Scandinavian). Some suggestions include Russian Standard,
Tsarskaya, Kremlin Award, Kalashnikov, Fris, Finlandia, Absolut, Grey Goose, Chopin, Sobieski, Wyborowa and Żubrówka.
from Emeril Lagasse
- 1 cucumber, peeled, split lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 day before serving, place vodka in the freezer.
- If using dilled cucumbers, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Place the cream cheese, capers, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Toast bagel slices until light brown. Spread each bagel half with some of the softened butter
- Arrange 2 bagel halves per plate. Drape 2 salmon slices over each bagel half in a cross pattern.
Place a full tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of the cross.
- Arrange 2 tablespoons of the dilled cucumbers and red onion on the side.
- Serve with a large shot of freezing-cold vodka.
- YIELD; Serves 4.
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: November 1, 2010