||Calamari alla Napoletana
from Pizzeria da Luigi, Bangkok
Here is a dish consisting of sauteed sliced fresh calamari. This one is unique because of its combination of raisins,
cashews and sugar in the sautee mix.
- 2 lbs small calamari
- 1 lb peeled vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 garlick clove
- 1 oz raising
- 1 oz pignoli nuts or cashew nuts
- 1 oz black olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Homemade bread
- Salt and pepper
- Clean and wash out calamari. Slice them into 1/2-inch wide rings. Soak the raisins. Wash and finely cut up the parsley.
Pit the olives and cut into small pieces, cut the toamtoes into small pieces
- Slice the bread and roast it on a grill in the oven, or over coals.
- Take a large saute pan with lid, heat the oil and saute the garlic. When the garlic has turned golden brown,
remove it add the tomatoes and saute them. Add salt and pepper and add a tablespoon of chopped parsley.
- Simmer for five minutes. Add the squid, olives, raisins and pine nuts. If using cashews, add a teaspoon of sugar at this point.
This will underscore the flavor of the cashews.
- Pour the wine over the mixture and saute until the squid is cooked.
- Serve with salad and warm bread.
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: October 25, 2009