from Pearl River
This is a bit unorthodox. Not exactly haute cuisine, but the end result is some of the juiciest, most mouthwatering bird you'll ever try.
All you'll need is a whole chicken, butter, beer, and seasonings.
Although this is a redneck recipe, when you cook it, please do yourself and your guests a favor
and use good beer (= no mass-produced mainstream swill).
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of decent beer
- 1 4-pound whole chicken
- Preheat an outdoor grill for low heat.
- In a small skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter. Mix in 1 tablespoon garlic salt, 1 tablespoon paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Drink half the beer, leaving the remainder in the bottle. Add remaining butter, garlic salt, paprika, and desired
amount of salt and pepper to beer bottle. Place bottle on a disposable baking sheet. Set chicken on top, inserting it
into the cavity of the chicken. Baste chicken with the melted, seasoned butter.
- Place baking sheet with beer and chicken on the prepared grill. Cook over low heat for about 3 hours, or until
internal temperature of chicken has reached 180 deg F (80 deg C).
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: October 12, 2010