(Pork Roast, Dumplings, Sauerkraut
with Beer Sauce)
from Bei Otto Restaurant, Bangkok
- 3 lb pork roast
- 1/2 lb pork bones
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 lb celery root, chopped
- 1 stick leek, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dark beer
- 1 can beef broth
- vegetable oil or lard, for browning
- Preheat over to 450 deg F (250 deg C).
- Season meat and bones with salt, pepper and caraway seeds.
- Heat the lard and/or vegetable oil in a roasting pan. Add the onions, carrots, leek, celery root, meat and bones
and brown on all sides.
- Pour beef broth over the meat, place roasting pan in the oven and roast for 1 1/2 - 2 hours at 450 deg F. Baste with dark
dark beer as needed.
- When done, remove roast from the oven and slide into 1/2-inch thick slices and keep warm.
- Filter sauce through a sieve and pour into a saucepan. Simmer on medium heat and season to taste with
salt, pepper and heer.
- Arrange meat slices on a large serving plate. Serve sauce on the side.
- Serve with Bavarian potato- and/or flour-dumplings, and sauerkraut.
back to Radim and Lisa's Well-Travelled Cookbook | email us
Last updated: November 11, 2009